Monday, February 22, 2010

Pop-up Cards



With February comes Valentines's Day, preceded by my spouse's birthday. This year I began to experiment with pop-ups, making little Valentine cards for the grandchildren using a free pattern from Robert Sabuda's wonderful website at robertsabuda.com. After studying pictures of book artist/paper engineer Carol Barton's work I thought, "I can do this!"


Birthday Odyssey pop up accordion card

The lucky recipient is a huge mythology buff and Homer's Odyssey was a childhood favourite. Hence the theme for the Birthday Odyssey accordion card. The background ocean images are from one of my photopolymer etchings touched up with watercolour washes. The cut out images were photoshopped after I downloaded them from the British Museum website. This site has a fabulous search engine that allows you to zero in on your chosen subject with marvelous precision. The images were found on vases in the museum collection and are copyrighted to The Trustees of the British Museum.


Etched and tinted ocean images glued to card


Odysseus and his men prepare to blind Cyclops



Odysseus and the Sirens




Odysseus and Circe

The Odyssey incorporates the great love story of Odysseus and Penelope. What better theme could there be for a card for my Valentine? Pop-up Penelope!




Pop-up Penelope







The images also came from the British Museum. Note that I've blurred the handwritten note on the card.



No comments:

Post a Comment