Monday, April 25, 2016

So Much Catching Up to Do! Part 1: Book Cloth

The blog has been neglected to the extent that when I came to update it, I couldn't find it! Google has moved ahead with so many changes it's hard to get back in with an occasional entry. I somehow stumbled on the right password. And have learned the lesson that I need to update this more than every 6 months!

In late October 2015 I took a workshop given by Martha Cole, where I learned some techniques for making book cloth: starting with a layer of fabric, additional layers of paper and thread are collaged on with a mix of wheat paste and acrylic medium to form a waterproof yet flexible  “fabric” .
Here are some sample books using sheets of book cloth I made during the course.




Since then I’ve done some more exploration of this technique and have started making covers for the annual Christmas story that my husband writes and hand binds to give to special friends. These covers pick up on some of the images in the story, which weaves the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice with a bunch of other stuff. Don’t want to give too much away!







No comments:

Post a Comment